Monday, November 2, 2009

A long bumpy road ahead!

I am expecting a miracle, nothing less. I wanted to make a page for Jenny, so she knows how loved she is, and how much support she has. Also to put my thoughts on paper, and keep everyone updated in detail.

I am still in shock. I am still waiting to wake up from this devastating nightmare, or to hear they made a mistake and that isn’t her in that bed.
Friday was Jen’s 24th birthday. She was so excited about celebrating it with the ones that are dearest to her. When I woke up to my phone going off on Friday night, and saw it was my father in law calling I had to check the phone twice. He never calls me that late. I handed the phone to my husband, thinking it was for him. Seconds later John was jumping out of bed crying. I’ll never forget those life changing words that escaped his mouth. “Get up my sister was in a wreck and burned. They life flighted her downtown. Someone pulled her out right before the whole car exploded.” It seemed like that short trip to the hospital took days. So many things crossed my mind. “If she doesn’t live through this, it is literally going to kill her mom. I hope this isn’t as bad as it sounds. Is her face burnt. Please don’t let her face be burnt. Was anyone else in the car with her? Did she hit anyone? This must be a mistake. What happened? She shouldn’t have to go through this. My family shouldn’t have to go through this. Talan needs his Aunt Jenny. He won’t be able to see her for a long time. There will be no way he’ll understand. It will frighten him.” So many emotions running through me sadness, sympathy, anger, shock. I was so shocked, worried, scared and anxious to get to her as fast as I could. But I was so glad she was alive, no matter the condition. We got to the hospital right as they were taking her to surgery. They told us that her bladder was full, and upon impact the seatbelt ripped it open. So they had to repair that. We didn’t get to see her until she was out of surgery, and they had her burns cleaned and dressed. No one would tell us anything. They weren’t describing her burns, what she looked like, or any other injury she might have. So all five of us sat and waited. I swear the time stood still. All we could do was pray for the best. Finally the surgeon came to talk to us. They had to cut her from under her boobs to her pubic area to repair her bladder. Her left arm was severely cut open. They weren’t able to sew it shut because she has broken bones that need to be set. They can’t set her bones right now because she is burned too badly. The surgeon said she was burned from head to mid thigh, except her right arm. When she came into the ER she was non responsive. She wasn’t breathing at the scene of the accident, so she had a tube down her throat. They weren’t sure if she had head trauma. When we finally got the ok to go in, I was not prepared to see her like that. I couldn’t have imagined THIS. Someone I love so much for so many different reasons lying in a hospital bed with so many tubes and IV’s coming from every limb of her body. Her eyes so swollen they were even with her nose. You couldn’t even tell she had eye sockets. Her beautiful lips were so swollen. She was swollen everywhere. The nurses have told us that her body is just absorbing everything. She will go down, but her body needs so much nutrients and fluids to heal. She is being given blood. With burn patients they become anemic because her body is absorbing everything. They have her sedated. Her face looks the worse, but the nurse said she thinks they are only second degree burns. They look worse than the rest (which are 3rd degree.) Apparently second degree looks worse because there are a lot of blisters, and bubbles, and discoloration. But third degree burns past that. 3rd degree burns are just white. They have no color to them at all. Her stomach, thighs, and left hand is 3rd degree burns. Her hair line was burned back about an inch. The ends of her hair are burned.

I keep telling myself to think about the positive. Ironic huh? I think “it’s great her face is only 2nd degree. She could have had her whole legs burnt. She could’ve had her back burnt which would be so painful having to lie on. She could’ve had worse injuries internally. She could’ve hit someone else. She could’ve died.

I can’t stop thinking about when she wakes up. I am so scared to see how she is going to react, and the attitude she will have. Honestly I think the emotional damage is going to be worse than the burns. I can’t imagine how she’s going to feel. I figure it can go two ways. Positive, where she will be glad she’s alive and be amazed by the love and support she has. Or Negative, where she wakes up wishing she wouldn’t have made it, angry at herself and us, pushing people away. I am praying for the best. It’s mind over matter.

I wanted to be as open and honest as I could on this page because I want everyone to know the truth, so you know how to be there for her. It is going to be a long recovery, and a very very hard one. She definitely needs to know how many people support her, and love her. She will beat this even if I have to push her to the finish line. I wish I could take away all the pain she is having and will have. She doesn’t deserve this. She has had a lot happen in the past year or so. She made it through it. And now she is faced with this hell. I know a miracle will happen that will blow everyone out of the water. I know something great is supposed to come from this. But right now it’s hard not to question what. I believe she is supposed to conquer the world, to make a difference. She has such a big heart. She loves her friends and family with everything she has.

Since then we did find out that the witness saw her just drift off the highway on 45, into the grass, and across the feeder. Not once hitting her breaks. Why, we still don’t know. It was about 8 30 at night. She hit the briar creek apartment’s brick wall. The car caught on fire. The witness pulled her out. They said moments later the car exploded completely. It took the fire department 2 ½ hours to put out the flames. She was immediately flown to Memorial Herman Downtown.

On Sunday she got moved out of the shock trauma ICU and into the burn unit so her burns can be treated properly. They are really strict about who can go in, since she is one big open sore. They don’t want her to get an infection or get sick. Her body won’t be able to handle it. She can’t have flowers or balloons because they carry a lot of bacteria. But she can have cards from everyone. Every time we go into her room we have to suit up with these plastic covers, put gloves on, and wear the medical masks. These masks have a plastic protector that goes over your eyes and stuff. There is only two people at a time aloud to go in.

The occupational therapist is going to start working with her. That way as her skin heals it won’t grow together. They will separate her fingers everyday. They will lift her arms everyday so they don’t grow to her sides. Stuff like that. The plastic surgeon has looked at her and they are going to start doing skin graphs soon. She has a doctor that specializes in each area that needs to be treated or taken care of.

Anyone that would like to come to the hospital is welcomed. We are going to be making a huge memory/sign board for all of the guests to write on. That way when she wakes up she can see everyone who has supported her. So bring your favorite picture of you and her and we’ll put it on the board. Debi (her mom) doesn’t want her to miss theses days. She wants her to be able to wake up and see what has gone on and happened.

I will be updating this as time passes. Feel free to add pics, quotes, stories about jen, or anything else you can think of.

To send cards: She is at Memorial Herman downtown. She is in the Jones pavilion area. On the 8th floor in room 29.




I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
."

15 comments:

Bernadette Marks said...

Jenny is a fighter, a competetive spirit girl who is very positive and receptive. We love her here at UOP and cherish her as our friend. You were very descriptive in Jenny's condition which put a lot of things in perspective for us. But the Lord has not turned his back on her and will never leave or forsake her.I want you to know that on behalf the Marks Family and the rest of her team here that we love you all and pray that the Lord gives you strenghth and courage to be there for her in her time of need.

Kim Abbas said...

Thank you for starting this blog. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to write this entry but it is helping all of us come to terms with what has happened. Jenny and her entire family are in our thoughts and prayers. We love her and are here for her anytime, night or day.

Jocelyn said...

Words can not describe how deeply saddened we all were here at UOPX when we heard the news. However, we all know if anyone can pull through this and be an even better person than what she was before, it is Jenny. Thanks for updating everyone on her status. She may have a long bumpy road ahead, but I plan to be there with her.

Renee said...

Jenny and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am still in shock. I worked with Jenny and feel we became very good friends. She is such an amazing woman. She is so positive and happy at all times. She is definitely a fighter and with the prayers of all of us... she will make it through this unbelievably tough time. She is at the top of my prayer list.

Heather said...

Thank you for having the courage to write these difficult things. We are so thankful to have a way to stay updated and informed on her progress. Today has been a difficult day for us and I can't even begin to imagine what you guys are going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jenny and her family. Jenny has touched each one of us here with her smile, positive attitude, kind words, and her determination. It is her determination and positive attitude along with the love and support from family and friends that will aid her through these trying times. Please let her know that we love her, miss her, and that we will see her soon! Please let us know what we can do to help.

Lisa Storey said...

[IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/lmstorey05/DSCN0402.jpg[/IMG]
My Best Friend...how could this happen to her? I am so thankful she fought through the night of the accident, i dont know what id do without her. She is a sister to me, the one neither of us ever had. We reunited after Kendalls death and have been inseperable since. She is such a fighter, in work, with her family, and just everyday. It doesnt surprise me that she fought through this, she has fought through a lot.I hope she has the strength to get through the rest of this long process of healing: physically, but mostly mentally. I will be by her side. I love this girl, she is definately one of a kind!

Anonymous said...

The man who pulled her out of the car, Mr. Jones, happened to have a family member who is my mom's patient at St. Lukes. When I told my mom about the accident she already knew about it because Mr. jones was asking my mom how he could find out the condition of someone he helped in a car wreck. I filled him in and needless to say it was a blessing he was there. I will be thinking about and praying for Jenny in the weeks and months to come. -Kristen Raines

~*JennyRyan*~ said...

Please can I have his information. We know nothing about him. We would like to meet him. We owe him a BIG thanks! Please give him my number 832 813 9669

Crystal said...

Jenny, You are a beautiful person and always will be. It's been a while since I have seen you, but still remember your beautiful smile and caring heart. I'm thinking about you and your family. The good Lord will protect you and heal you.
Love to the Ryan Family,
Crystal Tromanhauser

Abby Russell said...

My heart hurts so much for Jenny and her family... Jenny has already hit many bumps in the road yet she always found a way to remain optomistic and believed there was a positive reason for the challenges she faced. I pray she finds the same resiliance as she faces this challenge. And I have faith she will because otherwise, God would not have put this obstacle in front of her. She will find a way to make it through and become an even better person for it. She will continue to touch many lives with her bubbly personality and child-like spirit... She has already touched mine and I am thankful for that. I love you Jenny and will be praying for you and your family.

Stephanie Goldstrom said...

Dearest Jenny, words cannot describe how much you mean to everyone. You are stronger then you think you are you are a fighter and I know you can get through any thing. We are all praying for you and your family. God Bless You All.

The Willings said...

Jenny is a friend of my sister's and I heard about the accident through their mutual friends. I am shocked and so, so sorry to learn of this. Thank you so much for posting on the blog and keeping everyone updated. Please know I am praying for Jenny, for healing, for peace for your family and her and for the doctors to have the perfect knowledge to work towards healing for her.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE BE TO GOD FOR MR JONES...HE IS TRULY AN ANGEL HERE ON EARTH FOR THIS FAMILY.

im praying for all of u, jenny, her family, her friends...i dont know jenny, but i think my son, chris mckinney, is friends with her.

"GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.. KEEP EVERYONE SAFE, SANE, HEALTHY AND STRONG IN THEIR PRAYERFUL WORK FOR JENNY'S COMPLETE HEALING."

carol mckinney

kllrshrx said...

Jenny, We all miss you greatly. Your morning greeting and smile is very missed as well. I hope you heal quickly and begin to live your life again.

To Jenny's family, please let me know if there is anything you need as we are here to help.

-Julie

Brittney Lewis said...

I was so sick to my stomach when I found out what happened. Jenny is the sweetest person I know. I wish this never happened to her. I will be praying for you jenny and your family. I know that you can and will get through this. I cant wait to see your beautiful smile again. I miss you so much! Thank you so much lindsey for keeping us informed. I will be praying for you and your family to stay strong in this very hard time. Thank you for being by Jennys side, and being the voice for all of us who love her dearly. You are a great sister-in-law.
- Brittney Lewis